Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Art al Fresco

"Art can permeate the deepest part of us, where no words exist."

The weather was gorgeous this past weekend so Billy brought the boy's easel up from the art room for them to paint al fresco.

I love watching the boys create.  Seeing how they thoughtfully choose colors and decide where to swirl the paint...and where to stab the paint brush into the paper repeatedly :)   It's a process.   When they're painting I don't interrupt them or offer suggestions.   I just sit back and let them go for it.   


Sullivan found some random strips of ribbon and added them to his painting.
Super serious faces.

Even when Max turned to his little work bench and decided it needed a new coat of paint I didn't say a word.  He told me that he wanted to change the color because he was tired of orange.  It made me smile because I saw a little bit of me in him at that moment.  He's seen me paint and repaint so many pieces of furniture.  Its humorous how normal he thinks it is to just put a new coat of paint on something :)

I recently asked Max what he wants to be when he grows up.  He said, "I want to be an artist."  He paused for a second and then said, "Well, I already am an artist actually.  So when I grow up I'll be a Daddy."  Both answers warm my heart.  Especially since my grandfather was an artist for a living.
The rose Max painted for me.
 The easel is still up outside and has been revisited many times over the past few days.  Paint splatters cover the deck and outdoor furniture.  Billy looks at the mess and a just shakes his head.  It'll all wash off eventually :)

"Messes are opportunities for creative expression, for delight and discovery, and for pleasure and celebration.  Messes are real.  They are how we live.  And they can be beautiful."
--Amy George Rush
{thanks to my friend Liz for posting this quote the other day...it really speaks to my heart :)}

1 comment:

  1. Grampa Gash would be sooo proud of your two little artists! It would warm his heart to see them at their easel!!

    ReplyDelete