Sunday, October 27, 2013

A letter to Max & Sullivan

A recent trip to the KC Zoo.
Dear boys,
I thought I'd write a little something about each of you before our new one arrives.  I want to remember you the way you are today, because I'm sure things will become blurry over the next few months.  And by the time the fog lifts, who knows...you will have changed so much once again.

Last night, as we snuggled on the big chair in your bedroom before bedtime, there was barely enough room for the two of you plus me and this giant belly.  Still, you both got as close as you could, pressing your cheeks against mine with your arms around my neck.  

I tried to imagine how it used to feel to hold each of you as babies. Those little round bellies, "michelin man" arm rolls and chunky legs have turned into long, skinny limbs. 
Especially on you, Max.  You are all arms and legs these days. 
The transformation is amazing and I can't recall exactly when it happened.

So here's a little snapshot of who each of you are at this moment in time...
Max, my little man:  
You are not a rough and tumble or daring kid.  I think you defy most of the "boy" stereotypes. You're cautious and very careful to follow the rules.  You're thoughtful and purposeful, affectionate and silly.  You wear your heart on your sleeve and are full of emotion.  Your heart is so big and you already have a worldly awareness that I think is rare for a child your age. You frequently tell me I'm beautiful or that you like my outfit (did your Dad teach you to say those things?!) and you like to make up songs about how much you love everyone "in the whole world".  Your favorite things right now are your cowboy boots, the song "Royals" by Lorde,  baseball and trying to teach your brother his letters and numbers.

Sullivan, my sweet soul:  
You are rarely in a hurry for anything.  You like to take your time and absorb your surroundings.  You feel no pressure to meet anyone's expectations or prove yourself.  You are quiet and confident, with a bit of a mischievous streak.  You go with the flow and are comfortable to just be.  Your gentle, loving nature has an affect on everyone you come into contact with.  I can tell already that your goodness will make waves in this world.  

Your favorite things right now are trains, seeing road construction and dancing to all different kinds of music.
Your father and I love your differences and celebrate your individual gifts and quirks.  

You are both perfect just the way you are.  

And the deep love you have for one another makes my heart glow.

I hope we always give you enough space to be the people you were meant to be. 

My whole heart,

Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment