Tuesday, August 20, 2013

An Uphill Marriage: 8 years

Dear Billy,

The title of this post might make you wonder where I'm headed with this ;)  It seems going "uphill" gets a bad rap.  It's usually paired with the word "battle".  But why is uphill a negative thing?  It allows for more growth than shuffling forward on even ground.

When I look back on our relationship from the beginning I imagine us starting at the bottom of a mountain.  Climbing upward day after day.  Stopping now and again to catch our breath, looking down to see how far we've come.

Going uphill to me means having goals and fighting together for what we want.  Accepting challenges and grasping each others hands tightly.  One pulling the other up every so often when one of us looses their footing.  It's constant forward progress.  Becoming better people and a better partner for the other with each steep step we take.

So my dear, here's to heading uphill together for the rest of our lives.  We have a long way to go, but the view from up here with you is already breathtaking. More beautiful than I could have imagined. I can't wait to reach the clouds and stars and mountain tops that await us as we continue our climb together.

Happiest 8 years.

My whole heart,
Sara
\

{St Lucia honeymoon | August 2005}

No comments:

Post a Comment