Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Happy 3rd Birthday, Max!


Dear 3-year-old Max,

It's crazy that someday you'll read this and think..."3 years old?! I was so little!" But to us. Right now. You couldn't be a bigger boy. We can't contain the pride we feel for you. The way you mentor Sullivan. The kindness you show others and how intuitive you are.  You are so wise beyond your years...an old soul.

You're learning and changing so fast that it makes me feel anxious. I don't want to miss a single moment or forget a single, hilarious word that comes out of your mouth.  I think you're starting to see a reoccurring theme on this blog...The fear of letting time slip through my fingers.

With that in mind your Dad and I stubbornly dig our heels into the present. Each new day races towards us and we're discovering that its a losing battle trying to slow it down.  Instead we hold each other close and brace ourselves against the rapidly approaching future. A time when you'll be ready and reaching for more freedom. Anxiously welcoming the next step toward independence.
We already see it happening. 

Your father and I will forever be behind you with our arms locked as we watch you take each step away from us to become the person you were meant to be.  We'll be nervous.  And proud. And hoping that your moments don't pass you by too quickly, because we already know that they do.

Always & forever,
Momma & Dada

But today, as I type this, you're the little guy pictured below.  I'm going to focus on that now.
We celebrated your birthday with your pre-school class yesterday.  You were so excited to have me there and I LOVED being in your classroom with your little friends.  I got to read "Birthday Monsters" to everyone and you passed out the "marshmellow pop" treats we made together.


Sullivan was so excited to join the big kids (see him at the end of the table?)

Max and his good buddy, Hector.

Once the girls saw Max & Hector taking a picture...the girls gathered around saying "I want a picture with Max!  I want a picture with Max!"  Ladies, ladies...no need to fight over him :)  Max looks a little nervous though ;)
Max definitely wanted his picture taken with Rosemary, though.  She's his best girl buddy.
Announcing the book his Momma is going to read to the class!
And then there were Sully and Ned chilling on the couch.  These two operate on the same speed :) I love to see Sullivan mixing with Max's friends.  Something about this picture makes me flash forward to the teen years.

No comments:

Post a Comment