Sunday, December 16, 2012

Away in a Manger


The boys' favorite Christmas book we've read so far this season has been "The First Christmas".
It very simply explains the story of the birth of Jesus.  However, initially I thought I'd have to bribe them to listen to the story.  Only because it is a different kind of book than they're used to.  No "Llama Llama" rhyming, no toddler humor.  The best part of the book is that it gives the lyrics to "Away in a Manger" at the end.  Which I sing.  In my horrible, horrible singing voice.  Max puts his cheek next to mine and tries to sing along.  Sullivan signs "more, more" with his little hands when I reach the end.  I usually end up singing the song 4-5 times.

This is our "new" mid-1900's Nativity from Italy. I love it and I think it brings the First Christmas to life for the boys. I hope it remains in our family for a very long time.  Max insisted on studying it closely with our old magnifying glass. 
 I love that they're embracing the true spirit of Christmas without even really knowing it.  Yes, they love the tree.  Elf on the Shelf is a hit.  Max is obsessed with getting presents.  But each evening, as we read our books, the only talk is of a very special baby being born.  Max has also has recently learned about praying and how to sign the cross. He clasps his hands, kneels down beside his little tree and says "In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spearmint." I try not to laugh :) It's so adorable that I can't bring myself to correct him. 

Before I shut his door at night he's been asking "Can we read more about Jesus tomorrow?"  He also asked me the other day if the reason why people get "married" is because Jesus' mom is named "Mary".  I love his questions.  Sometimes I can just see his little mind working, trying to interpret all aspects of the world and learning about the way things are connected to each other.
I realize the questions and insights about religion will get far more complicated.  But for now, Jesus is king, Mary is his momma and Bethlehem is a magical place with donkeys and sheep.

 

4 comments:

  1. Oh Sara -

    I love to read your blog and this post brings the sweetest tears to my eyes. Wish we lived a smidge closer so our boys could enjoy each other, but this is just precious. My heart almost explodes every time Reid looks up and says "baby Jeeus?"

    I'm bookmarking this post in my Google Reader - just precious and a super, super reminder of the awe of this season.

    - Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! Omg..."Baby Jeeus?"...so cute!! There really is nothing better than experiencing this time of year with kiddos. The innocence of it all just melts my heart.

      Delete
  2. We have also really been focusing on the TRUE meaning of Christmas this year. Yes, all of our silly little traditions are important and fun, but here's what it's truly about! My hope is that many more families are doing the same thing. Just think how awesome (and safe) our world would be if everyone knew Jesus?!
    Merry Christmas, Sarah!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete